When you are creating documents using Google docs, you may have noticed that the First letter of each paragraph is automatically capitalized. You can use Caps Lock button on the keyboard to turn on capitalization while typing / writing a document or you can press Shift and type the letters while keeping shift key pressed to capitalize the letters.
Google docs does the capitalization of the words automatically using built in option “Automatically capitalise words” under Tools -> Preferences. This configuration is enabled by default. You can simply uncheck this option and click on OK button to stop auto capitalization in Google docs.
You can easily control auto capitalization in google docs by deselecting a checbox. However, please note that if you have already typed a document using auto capitalization switched On, turning it off will not remove auto capitalization in existing content but it will only be applicable for future content. For existing content, you can use Capitalisation option under Format -> Text -> Capitalisation.
How to turn off auto capitalization in Google Docs on Windows / Mac
Please use below steps to turn off auto capitalization in Google docs on a Windows or Mac device. The steps to turn off auto capitalization for both Windows and Mac will remain the same.
- On your Windows or Mac PC, Launch web browser and visit Google docs.
- Open the document which you are working on.
- Go to Tools -> Preferences.
- Uncheck “Automatically capitalise words” and click on OK button.
How to turn off auto capitalization in Google Docs on iPhone
As you have turned off auto capitalization setting on Windows or a Mac device. There is a setting “Automatically capitalize words” when we used a web browser to access Google docs. However, there is no setting when it comes to Google docs app installed on your iPhone.
There is a workaround of this. We will use iPhone keyboard settings to turn off Auto capitalization. Please note turning off Auto Capitalization using your iPhone keyboard settings will turn off auto capitalization across all the apps on the iPhone not just Google docs app. You can easily turn it on if you want it back though. But let’s just see where we can find this setting and how to turn it off.
- On your iPhone, Go to Settings App.
- Go to General -> Keyboard.
- Toggle the button for Auto-Capitalisation to turn it off.
How to turn off auto capitalization in Google Docs on Android
Same as we turned off auto capitalization from Keyboard settings, we are going to do the same on Android phone. Lets check the steps:
- Click on Settings Icon on the Keyboard or you can go to Settings -> System -> Languages and input -> Virtual Keyboard -> Gboard.
- Find Text correction from the list of settings and toggle the switch for Auto-capitalisation to off.
How to apply Capitalization in Google docs manually
If you have turned off auto capitalization and you want to use the capitalization feature manually then you can select the text in Google docs and apply Capitalization.
Where to locate Capitalisation option in Google docs ?
- Open any Google docs document.
- Click on Format -> Text -> Capitalisation.
There are three options under Capitalisation. We will see an example of each of the setting for text conversion to lower case, UPPER CASE and Title Case.
- lower case: Selecting text and and applying lower case will convert all selected text into lower case. To convert a text into lower case, Go to Format -> Text -> Capitalisation -> lower case.
- UPPER CASE: Selecting text and and applying UPPER CASE will convert all selected text into UPPER CASE. To convert a text into lower case, Go to Format -> Text -> Capitalisation -> UPPER CASE.
- Title Case: Selecting text and and applying Title Case will convert all selected text into Title Case. It will capitalize first letter of every word in the paragraph. To convert a text into lower case, Go to Format -> Text -> Capitalisation -> Title Case.
In this blog post, we have seen how to turn off auto capitalization on Windows, Mac, Android and iPhone. When you have turned off auto capitalization, you still have the option to apply capitalisation to a specific work or a paragraph or the whole document. Select the text which you want to convert and then apply the capitalisation from Format -> Text -> Capitalisation.