When you launch Outlook and Teams on Windows 10 workstation, you may receive the below error:
|Your computer’s Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned. If this error persists, contact your system administrator with the error code 80090016.|
More information: https://www.microsoft.com/wamerrors
Microsoft Office Version being used
Microsoft 365 MSO 16.0.13127.21062 (Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise)
How to fix error code 80090016 ?
Please find below steps to fix the error code 80090016 which may occur when you are working on Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Teams application. I have not seen the error code while using other Microsoft Office apps. However, if you get this error in any other Microsoft Office app. You can still follow the same steps and try to resolve this issue.
1. Rename Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy folder
- Logoff current user.
- Login on the workstation using administrator account.
- Go to C:\users\<user account having issue>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy
- Rename Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy to Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy.old
- Log off from the administrator account and Login as the user.
- Launch Outlook and Teams, it should work fine this time. OneDrive may have been signed out as well, you can sign in to one drive to check if one drive is also working fine at this point.
2. Create a registry entry EnableAdal and set its value to 1
If the issue reappears after applying the above fix. We need to create a registry entry EnableAdal and set its value to 1. Please follow below steps to create the registry entry.
- Sign out from Microsoft Word or any MS office Application and close all the Microsoft office apps like Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook etc.
- Create DWORD registry entry EnableAdal under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity and set it to 1.
- Restart your device and launch Outlook and Teams. If you are still facing the same issue. Proceed to the next step.
- Delete ADAL Authentication Profile for the user having issues. Find the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\Identities, under Identities registry keys. There could be multiple keys under the Identities registry key folder. We need to find the one which belongs to the user.
To find the registry key, Search through the sub keys under Identities key and on the right hand side you will see the EmailAddress and other user settings to confirm if you are in the right folder.
Once you confirm that, you can take a backup of this registry key by Right-clicking it and selecting Export. Save the backup to any folder you like. Once the backup file is saved, Delete the registry key.
- Restart your device once.
- Launch Microsoft Word or Excel or any MS Office app, it will ask you to sign-in to the account for activation. Sign-in using your office365 organization email address.
- Launch Outlook, Teams etc. and sign-in to other apps if required.
3. Completely Uninstall Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise
- Completely uninstall Office with the uninstall support tool including cleaning up of registry entries related to Microsoft office. Download this tool and uninstall office completely. Re-Install it again from portal.office.com.
- Make sure Windows 10 is fully updated and apply latest patches.
- Re-create Windows User Profile and Test again.
- Restart the system and test again.
In this blog post, we have seen multiple ways to fix the error code 80090016 while using Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Teams. You can follow the steps given in thie post to fix this issue. I have seen that sometimes, clean uninstall also resolved this issue completely.
How to completely uninstall Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise steps are given in the 3rd Option to fix 80090016. I hope this issue resolves after following the steps in this post. However, if you are still facing issues, you may need to reset your system or you may need to contact Microsoft support and raise a ticket with them to get help on this.
- How To Fix / Reset Audio Settings On Windows 11.
- How To Fix Error 0x800f0830 – 0x20003 on Windows 11.
- Disable TLS 1.0 And TLS 1.1 On Windows 10 Machines Through GPO.
- Create Group Policy To Lock User’s Workstation After 20 Minutes Of Inactivity (Windows 10).