You can manually sync a Sharepoint teams site document library to your windows 10 or Windows 11 device by accessing the Sharepoint teams site document library and clicking the Sync button.
However, If there is a sharepoint document library which is used by everyone in that department or organization and you do not want each users to go to that sharepoint document library and click on Sync button. You can create a Device configuration profile in Intune to configure it to sync automatically and assign it to the End users.
In this blog post, we will see the steps required to create a device configuration profile on Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center for configuring Sharepoint document library sync using Intune.
Below are Important considerations before proceeding with the configuration steps:
OneDrive Files On-Demand Must be enabled.
Applies only for users on computers running Windows 10 (1709) Fall Creators Update or later.
Do not enable this setting for the same library to more than 1,000 devices.
To ensure a good sync experience, avoid enabling this feature on large libraries sets.
Identify a document library to sync and copy library ID
- Launch any Web browser and open the Sharepoint site document Library using the Sharepoint Site address / URL.
- Click on Documents on the left hand side and then Click on Sync button.
- After you click on Sync button, you will get two pop-ups on the screen. You can click on Cancel button on Open Microsoft OneDrive ? pop-up and click on Copy library ID button to copy the sharepoint Document library ID.
Create Device Configuration Profile
Once you copied the Library ID of the sharepoint document library you want to sync via Intune. You need to create a Device Configuration profile on Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center. Please follow below steps:
- Login on Endpoint Manager admin center.
- Go to Devices -> Configuration Profiles -> Click on Create profile.
- Platform -> Windows 10 and later.
- Profile Type -> Templates
- Select Administrative Templates from the list and click Create.
Provide the Name and Description of the Policy.
- Name: Onedrive Auto Sync Sharepoint Teams Library
- Description: This device configuration profile is to sync sharepoint document libary to End user devices.
Configuration Settings Tab
- Click on User Configuration on the Left Hand Side.
- Select OneDrive.
- Search for Configure team site libraries to sync automatically Policy.
- Select Enable
- Provide the Name of the Library and in Value paste the Library ID copied earlier.
- Click OK
Create an Azure AD Security group which contains users or devices where this device configuration profile needs to be deployed. Please note that if you add users into the list, it will deploy this profile on all of the users devices joined to Azure and Enrolled into Intune. If you want to deploy the profile to specific devices then you should add devices in the Azure AD security group not users.
Review + Create
The Device will Sync / Check in and download / intstall the profile on target device. It may take some time for the process to start. Therefore, if you are testing it on a test device, you can force initiate Intune refresh cycle on the device which will speed up the policy download and installation process and check if the library has been synced automatically on the targeted users systems.
|It may take some time to sync SharePoint teams site library. In my case, I had to leave it over the weekend to get the libraries synced on the PC. For more information, please read below techcommunity microsoft forum link about this issue:|
In this blog post, we have seen how to configure and sync a Sharepoint teams site library automatically on End user devices. Please test the policy first on few test users and once you are confirmed that its working fine, you can roll it out on all other devices.