Some of the apps are pre-installed with Windows 10 and not required by the end user. Therefore, these applications need to be removed. expressvpn 220.127.116.11 is one of the application. The below steps can be followed to uninstall any version of expressvpn installed on windows 10 systems. expressvpn app is not available from Microsoft store for business, therefore it cannot be synced from Microsoft Store for Business portal to Endpoint manager and target for un-installation. We need to create a Win32 app package to uninstall this app.
Below process of uninstallation can be followed for applications other than expressvpn as well, just check the silent install / uninstall switches for that application, create .intunewin file and add the application on Endpoint Manager Admin Center and Target it to the users or devices.
- Download expressvpn from the vendor website https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-software/vpn-windows and copy the setup file into a folder for example: C:\softwares\expressvpn
- Download Microsoft Win32 Content Prep Tool
- Create an empty folder for example C:\output or anywhere you like.
- Repackage the expressvpn exe file to .intunewin using IntuneWinAppUtil.exe which can be located in Microsoft Win32 Content Prep Tool.
Use below process to repackage the application / setup files to .intunewin file. Launch command prompt, change the current folder to where Microsoft Win32 Content Prep Tool is downloaded and run below command.
IntuneWinAppUtil.exe -c <setup_folder> -s <setup_file> -o <output_folder>
Setup_folder = C:\softwares\expressvpn
setup_file = expressvpn.exe
Output_folder = C:\output
IntuneWinAppUtil.exe -c C:\softwares\expressvpn -s expressvpn.exe -o C:\output
Now once .intunewin file has been created, we will now add this app on Endpoint Manager admin center using the following steps:
- Login on EndPoint Manager Admin Center.
- Click on Apps -> All Apps -> + Add
- Select App Type to Windows app (Win32)
- Click on Select.
- Select app package file and browse to expressvpn.intunewin and click Ok.
- Enter / Update the Name of the Application and Publisher Information and click Next.
Install command: expressvpn.exe /install /norestart /quiet Uninstall command: expressvpn.exe /uninstall /norestart /quiet Device restart behavior: No specific Action
Operating system architecture: 64-bit Minimum operating system: Windows 10 1607
Rules Format: Manually configure detection rules Rule Type: File
Skip to Assignments Tab and Add target All Users and All Devices .
Click Review + Save and Save the Application. Wait for Intune to trigger the App Uninstall from all the systems. You can check the status of the uninstall from Application -> Device Install Status or User Install Status.
|We have targeted assignment of this application for uninstall but if your requirement is to install this application, target the application for Installation in the assignment tab. We have already provided Install Command while adding this app in the program tab, so this will install expressvpn on windows 10 systems.|
Related Blog Post: Deploying MSI Application on Windows 10 workstations using Microsoft Intune